New Saab - not much Service History... [Archive] - Saabscene :: Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource

: New Saab - not much Service History...

dch97c
10-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi Everyone!

I've just got a new (to me) Saab 9-5 Aero Estate, which so far i'm really pleased with. There are a list of preventative maintenance bits i like to get done, but i'd like to know what's already been done to it. Unfortunately all i have by way of service history is the stamps in the service book - there all from main dealers so i was hoping i'd be able to get a print out of the service records? However the dealer i went into told me that they were no longer able to give this information out! I'm not sure if they're just hoping i'll pay to have all the work done again regardless or if this is genuine. Can anyone tell me how i can get this print out?!

Many thanks for your help!

PS - have only just found this forum - after owning six Saabs it's nice to have found a UK based forum!

NedLudd
10-14-2010, 05:26 PM
It has been said that it is technically true that they can't simply print it out and hand it over since it contains the name and address of the previous owner. A more helpful dealer would get around this fairly straightfwdly, however; for a start, if the main dealer history was from the previous owner then his/her the name and address would already be on your V5, which you could point out. Or, they could print it out and erase or delete the personal details.

But when in a similar position, I simply rang the two main dealers concerned and asked them to talk me through what had been done. Both obliged, gave me the cost of services etc, so I could build up a more complete service history of the car.

dch97c
10-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks NedLudd - i was hoping that there'd be a dealer out there who'd be happy to remove the address of previous owners ...in fact i would have imagined it was such a regular request that they'd have an option in the system to print without personal data by now - especially as i'd happily pay for the print out! Will try calling up the last couple - but it's not the same as having all the details to refer back to.

sgould
10-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Whereabouts in the UK are you? Some dealers are more helpful than others.......

dch97c
10-14-2010, 06:18 PM
am in London

sgould
10-14-2010, 06:29 PM
In N London, I've found that Ballards at Finchley and their second branch, Viking at Watford, are usually helpful.

Some of the others around are less helpful. Saab City/ Saab Fulham are directly owned by Saab GB (or they were) and I've found them helpful too. Don't know S London so well. A colleague used Valley Saab but they are no longer a Saab dealer.

dch97c
10-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Great - i'll try and pop in at the weekend. Thanks for the tip

quinophex
10-15-2010, 12:08 PM
It's nonsense about "data protection" as there's a function to print off *just* the service records of the car without any personal details (although these may not list prices either). I encountered similar at Holden SAAB in Norwich (now defunct) where I got one of the parts guys on the phone and asked him, he said no problem, come and pick it up later in the day. When I got there and spoke to reception they just flat out refused and said it couldn't possibly be done. The secret is, go into a dealers and enquire on the parts desk about some bits and bobs and ask them to do it, usually they are more helpful than the service reception with this kind of thing.