Turbo Noise [Archive] - Saabscene :: Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource

: Turbo Noise

acoombes
04-09-2010, 05:24 PM
The turbo sounds like air is escaping when active...is this normal or is my turbo on its way out.
78k on a Tid(150)

Tim_H
04-09-2010, 05:28 PM
as the weather is warm, have you just started driving with your window down? - as it'll be more noticable.

acoombes
04-09-2010, 07:41 PM
yes .... can also hear it when I have the window up and the heater fan speed low and the stereo off...

Tim_H
04-10-2010, 06:27 PM
probably a split hose / pipe / loose jubilee clip, on the air side of the turbo. - Hard to trace as you're driving it at the time. - I've experienced this twice (on a Renault), and it was noticable as it had forced some oil out of the split.

Check hoses / intercooler connections. - HTH.

You'd expect for the power to be down quite a bit too.

Ive also experienced a very noisy turbo once, (on a Nissan Bluebird) - just before it overboosted like mad, and gave up. - not much use I know, but I guess you get to know the noises your car makes, and notice the out of the ordinary.

pauldunn
04-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Sounds like a problem I had on a previous Audi TDi. No downturn in performance or cunsumption and no smoke? My car was under warranty so fixed by Audi but was split hose. It will get worse so best do as said previously - check all hoses and pipework for obvious leaks. Hope that all it is! Good luck.

AA