Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Getting my air con going for the summer

Tags
air con summer
2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bravocars1 
#1 ·
Last summer I had my aircon re-gassed. It worked nicely for a couple of weeks, then stopped.

When I switch the aircon on, I used to get a click/clunk from the front where the clutch assembly on the compressor kicked in. I don't get this anymore.

I've checked obvious fuses. Are there any hidden fused anywhere that would be relevent?

What things determine whether power should be applied to the clutch assembly?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

#2 ·
Hi Mike,
There should be a pressure sensor in the system somewhere that stops the clutch engaging and aircon working if the refrigerant levels (pressure) is too low. I would bet that you have a leak somewhere in the system hence why it took a couple of weeks before running too low and protecting itself by not turning on. You could get it checked and refilled with refrigerant and UV dye so the leak can be pin-pointed more easily.
Cheers

#3 ·
Not sure if your car has a clutch cable or hydraulic clutch but a couple of years back the clutch cable on my car chaffed a pin hole through one of the air con pipes that come from the manifold on the bulkhead. A test by Saab with some dye pin pointed the problem and I bought the new parts and fitted it with some blasphemy......saved about £150 labour charge.
Mike

#4 ·
Thanks for the info.

I'll investigate the pressure sensor.

Before I had the thing re-gassed last year, the clutch would come on even though no cooloing took place. Always a puzzle, these things!

I'll check out the clutch cable thing, too.

Anyone know where the pressure sensor is, or what it looks like?

Thanks,

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.