Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

SAAB 93 CD Boot Changer

Tags
boot changer
3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DaHood 
#1 ·
Hi All

I've just become the proud owner of a 9-3 'W' plate and it does not have a CD Boot Changer although it has the controls for them on the dashboard and steering wheel. Can I buy a regular CD changer, for a example a Pioneer, Alpine or Kenwood one or will I have to go direct to SAAB to purchase one?

Also the SID deisplay is knackered. Which SID do I buy and is it a simple installation job that I can do myself?

Many thanks in advance

#2 ·
The CD changer has to be original, as it communicates with the head unit with its own protocol. IMO the best price/performance is a new head unit with MP3 capacibility. With some newer Blaupunkts you should also be able to use the steering wheel controls (which is not the case with other HUs).

What's wrong with the SID? Pixel failure - you can try some of common DIY repair methods or have it repaired.

Generally speaking: there are two types of SID, difference is in button labels (and perhaps also number of buttons :confused: . The installation is simple, but a new SID needs to be programmed to work with your car, a job that needs Tech II.

Edit: SID types here

#3 ·
The CD changer has to be original, as it communicates with the head unit with its own protocol. IMO the best price/performance is a new head unit with MP3 capacibility. With some newer Blaupunkts you should also be able to use the steering wheel controls (which is not the case with other HUs).

What's wrong with the SID? Pixel failure - you can try some of common DIY repair methods or have it repaired.

Generally speaking: there are two types of SID, difference is in button labels (and perhaps also number of buttons :confused: . The installation is simple, but a new SID needs to be programmed to work with your car, a job that needs Tech II.

Edit: SID types here[/b]

Hey thank you. I think I will replace the entire unit.

The SID display is shot to pieces can't really make anything out. I think the SID may be failing because it seems to get extremely hot so the heat may be causing damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.