Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

DIY ECU fitting possible?

Tags
diy ecu fitting
4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  john 
#1 ·
Hi,

title self explanatory really - is it easy to swap the existing ECU in my 1999 9-5 2.3lpt for a Maptun Stage 1 ECU?

I know that it will subsequently have to be married to the car using TechII but I just wondered how big a job it was to physically swap over the ECUs. I was looking at the Maptun Stage 1 ECU but SimplySaab are looking anywhere between £50 and £100 to swap them over - is this reasonable?

Cheers

#3 ·
You don't need to remove the wipers- it is possible to gain access just by removing the fasteners on the aquarium cover and then lifting it up on the passenger side. It's not exactly clear access to the ECU retaining screws this way, but it's quite achievable. I can do one on about 5-10 mins including fetching and putting away the tools. Another 5 mins to marry it and you're away. Sounds like a lot of money for 15 mins work...

#4 ·
Sounds like a lot of money for 15 mins work...[/b]
That's what I thought. As I'd have to go and get it from them anyway I thought I'd have a go at removing the old one myself and fit the new one at the same time before getting them to marry it (they said they'll do that bit free of charge!)

Are there any specific tools required and is there anything in particular that I need to be aware of?

Is it really as simple as locating the ECU and disconnecting/unscrewing it? They mentioned that occasionally you have to fit a wastegate turbo rod (this sounds like complete bollox to me)?!?

Oh yeah and it's actually an Abbott Racing ECU rather than a Maptun one but that shouldn't make any difference should it?

Cheers guys

#5 ·
Wastegate turbo rod? Definitely talking oblete spheroids. No it won't make any difference which upgrade ECU it is.

The ECU has a protective cover held in place by 4 10mm nuts. The ones at the back are a bit fiddly without removing the entire aquarium cover but as I say, do-able. The ECU itself is secured with a further two 10mm nuts. It's as simple as that.

Just checking though- you are aware that the car will not start until the new ECU has been integrated in to the TWICE system with Tech II.

#7 ·
The 'proper way' to put in a new ECU (ie via Saab tech info) is to remove wipers, take off whole plastic cowling etc etc) this would be a 45+ mins probably and could be why they are charging so much.

Having said this I doubt they would do it this way, I once got it done at a SAAB DEALERSHIP and they did it the 5-10 minute easy way - still charged me £50 for doing it though - youve got to add time on for doing the alarm codes with Tech II. On the outside it would take 25 mins. This could equate to half an hours labour+ VAT so could easily be £50 ish.

Ive also done it your way, driven to the Saab indie, by the time they have got the TECH II out , ive removed the ECU and put the new one in.

I would practice how quickly you can get it out and in, because they will not be impressed at hanging around for you to do it. It will take you a lot longer first time!!!
P

#8 ·
No doubt you can do it without taking the wipers off, but sooner or later you will have to take the aquarium cover off (access blower because a leaf has got stuck in there etc.) It's not a bad idea to make sure that the wiper arms have not corroded to such a stage that they are near impossible to remove. Having done that, you could take the cover off the ECU and replace the wipers, leaving the aquarium cover off and giving you very quick access for swoping the unit over when the Tech 2 is on hand.

#11 ·
Or you could note the numbers on the ECU and supply them to Maptun or Abbott and ask them to programme those codes into the new ECU and you won't need the tech 2 gadget.[/b]
Good idea - what numbers will they require?

Unfortunately I'll be getting it through SimplySaab (only £400) so I'm not sure whether this can be done.

Anyway I've had a bit of a result becuase they've now said that they will do the ECU exchange (as well as the Tech II bit) free of charge. They're still saying that a waste gate rod might be required and they won't know for certain until they've seen the car! I don't see why this should be the case - anybody here have any ideas?

#12 ·
They're still saying that a waste gate rod might be required and they won't know for certain until they've seen the car![/b]
If that is what they are saying verbatim, they do not appear to know what they are talking about. There are no changes necessary to the turbo/wastegate for the upgrade. It appears that they are punting for more unnecessary business.

#13 ·
Personally I would go with Maptun but I am biased in that regard. Not sure exactly which numbers you require for the security codes, I just noted all numbers and supplied them to Maptun. I agree with Bubbles why would you need to change the waste gate actuator rod? I would be wary of this supplier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.