Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

stock boost

Tags
boost stock
13K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  paolo 
#1 ·
what model saab, under 2002 has the highest stock boost???

#7 ·
k so what about out of the factory, no tampering what so ever! i looked into info at my dealership they said the viggen is 20psi??? strange, ive heard different here, anyone with a viggen or the facts about exactly how much boost a 2000 Viggen has, i dont care about aeros.

#8 ·
Viggen has
230bhp
258ft lbs

Trionic 7 treats things differently to T5 Aero 9k though - it will always try and make the target power.

When I checked, the Viggen runs 1.1bar / 15-16psi at sea level to get its 230bhp - almost identical to 9k Aero as expected but gets an extra 5bhp top end.

The twist is the Trionic 7 in the viggen will push up the boost to compensate for high altitude - up to 20psi / 1.4bar to still try and make the 230bhp. That's where the misleading boost figures for the Viggen must come from - they are not 'fixed' but vary according to required power.

To compare apples with apples though - the number is 15-16psi peak boost for the Viggen.

#9 ·
I done a google search on Hirsch to have a look at the size and spec of their 4 pot brake kits and i found the spec sheets for the 9-5 aero, they do two power upgrade kits, these are for the 250bhp aero, 305bhp and 280 bhp, for the 305 kit you get, air intake pipe, upgraded turbo, intercooler, exhaust, trionic 7 remap, with a max boost pressure of 1.15 BAR, and for the 280 kit you get air intake pipe, exhaust, remap, max boost 1.10 BAR, now to me the max boost for both sounds very low as a 9k aero has a standard max boost of 1.08 BAR! it would be good to know what the standard max boost was in the first place!

#10 ·
Does sound low BUT remember max boost is nowhere near max BHP rpm. Maybe they mean the boost at full power rpm? i.e. if you can hold 1.15bar to 5500 rpm you'll probably see 300bhp or so which matches their statement. A stock Aero will be about 0.7 bar or less by then even though it had a peak of about 1.1 at say 2.5k rpm.

They may even limit boost to 1.15 bar throughout the range to save the gearbox and provide a very linear power curver to red line without the midrange torque lump. i.e boost to 1.15 and hold to red line. - They will still make the power claim but with a smooth build up.

Clear as mud :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.