Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

The beast is about to stir!

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  nlaero9000 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd share the excitement of my FINAL upgrade on my beloved 9-5 wagon.

By the end of the weekend my new Nordic ECU (just been married via Tech II) will get the best out of:

.18t hybrid TD04 turbo
.Bosch Green Giant Fuel Injectors (to be fitted this w/end)
.ETS Intercooler

This is effectively a stage 6 -I'll give you all the lowdown once Ive got the injectors in.
P

[mod edit- no advertising of ads, thankyou]

#3 ·
Bugger - all fitted, went for a test drive and its not great. Bit lumpy and lacking pulling power in higher gears at 'lower' speeds. Not getting the hit of the turbo and the massive air draw I had before has vanished - its not bad once floored higher up the rev range but no faster than before.

Obviously something not right.
P

#4 ·
What's your peak boost and base boost? This will at least eliminate obvious issue like leaks and wrong base boost. I have an 18T on my Aero and it starts pulling hard after 2.5k rpm and on song at about 3k. Should deliver about 340bhp. Did you have the turbine clipped also ?
Get Nordic to check they sent you the right mapping too.... mistakes can happen.

#5 ·
What's your peak boost and base boost? This will at least eliminate obvious issue like leaks and wrong base boost. I have an 18T on my Aero and it starts pulling hard after 2.5k rpm and on song at about 3k. Should deliver about 340bhp. Did you have the turbine clipped also ?
Get Nordic to check they sent you the right mapping too.... mistakes can happen.[/b]
I think its the software, obviously not right. Idle is even rough. When I had the 18t on the old 'stage 4' software it really pulled and the intake noise was massive. Hopefully get a 'new' ECU soon - if I poodle around should get me to work and back for now. I have not had any clipping done.

When I had the ECU married, I took it out and put the old one back on, it had unmarried itself? Is this normal? Only 1 ECU can be married to the car at a time?
P

#6 ·
You marry the car to the ECU via the tech 2 so you need to update it everytime you change ECUs.

As for ECU - if it's rough at idle it sounds like it might be set for the wrong size of injectors? If it's set for smaller injectors it will run rich, but if it's set for larger injectors it can run lean so be careful!!

#7 ·
Well the problem goes like this.................

In a state of upgrading blindness that both me and Nordic oversaw, the fuel inlet manifold on my age of car is for the air flushed injectors, hence them not working.

Second hand manifold is on its way, when time allows I will get this put on, pop the greengiants in (to their rightfull home), change the FPR to a 3 (from 3.5) and get the ECU on

Then :fawlty: :fawlty: :fawlty:
P

#10 ·
I don't know.

I did wonder if it was a difference between T5 and T7 cars, as I have never had to re tech2 any ECU for my T5 car. I have a variety of ECUs for it from Saab, Nordic, Maptun and Speedparts and I am able to swap them at will.

Then I recalled a time I replaced the ECU on my sister's 9-5 (Trionic 7, of course).

On my sister's 9-5 we replaced the standard ECU with a Hirsch ECU for that model. It worked fine for 2 miles before it threw a CEL (suspected lambda) which was reset and which then threw CEL again at 120 miles.

The garage TECH2ed the Hirsch ECU to the car and I retained the original one. Since the Hirsch ECU threw a CEL again, I replaced the Hirsch ECU with the original which I swapped myself in the street outside. No need to TECH2. just plugged it in and it worked.

So, I did not need to TECH2 the ECU back to the car once removed. ;)

#11 ·
My theory is that you can have as many ECU's as you like that will all work on the car, without needing Tech II, IF you use the same ECU code.
I.E - if your tuner matches the ECU in the workshop (as you supply them with the original ECU code). However, if your tuner gives you tuned ECU that is not matched (ie has a differnet code) then you will need to keep on Tech II

Sort of fits your experience John?

Either way that's how it has been for me!!

P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.