Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

so 2.3 people, lightened flywheels

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tempdisplay 
#1 ·
Need advice on where and how much can be taken out of the flywheel, machinist is nervous with all the twin mass wheels out there. anyone lightened a 2.3 flywheel?
if you could help that would be great cuz I am in pieces and in a big hurry to get the job done thanks davecn@shaw.ca cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
HotViggen, welcome to Saabscene!

If he/she is nervous, they are not experienced enough. If you can risk destroying the engine prematurely as a learning experience, in partnership, you may both open the doors to a flood of interest. Marketing, marketing, marketing.

Coincidentally the topic of flywheel mods popped up today as I'm turning my attention to high performance and the net result of lightening is potentially a significant effect on engine response to driver demand but its certainly not for the faint hearted as you're going to need a 2-300% increase in idle speed and consequently its a track thing or you'll overheat at the traffic lights and be searching for a fuel station before and after a single days commute..... a recent disqualification in the WRC was because the flywheel was below the regulated minimum. It is that critical and would surprize the bj's out of some top marques who didn't know any better.

You are talking about a radical approach to a single component that alters the whole performance profile of the car which has been essentially developed for domestic and Winter morning cold starts of teams of one; if you've got a pit crew and a portable 'summers afternoon engine environment kit' youre likey to be the first to the end of the driveway from a standing start..... but from there, the competition en-masse will have the upper hand and the shattered remains of some stock components in the palm of your hand.

Exciting prospects!

#3 ·
I took about 25 % off mine and it really did not have any discernable difference
Apart from making the bite point of the clutch right on the floor
I really did not see any difference in spool up
the idle was terrible but that was down to the cams being off
once we got them dialed in the idle was normal
Worth it ...donno
It did not cost much to do and I had done a lot to the car at the same time ...
but it has done 60k miles without grenading so I guess the amount they took off was ok

#4 ·
Ylee, it's good to hear but a grenade is just what will happen if a mistake is made. I haven't modded mine at all (yet) so I am in no position to qualify any percentages. I am more concerned with interpreting the current life cycle of my timing and balance chains vs. my car's mileage at 186k.

Receiving your experienced contribution is the point however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.