Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Gearbox...strange noise..

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  philcrombie 
#1 ·
Ok - although I expect the gearbox to die on the aero one day... I am interested to know if any of you have heard this particular 'noise' that I can hear on mine..

Cruising along at about 50-60mph on a very light throttle I can hear a woo woo woo noise (quite quiet). Its actually a very strange noise - initially I though it was a bazar turbulence - but it aint.. Lifting off or increasing the throttle makes it disappear completely.
It also seems to be tied to speed and no gear/engine speed which makes me think its somewhere down towards the end of the drivetrain.

Apart from that, the box is very solid feeling with no slack (although if its very cold, 5th can be a little notchy)
The car has done 98K miles.

Anyone had similar and worked out what it was?

#5 ·
hmmm - what made me think it wasnt the tyre was that changing the throttle without changing the speed removed the noise.
Its a very soft sound - but still sounds mechanical.
I think I'm paranoid - the issue is resolved by switching on the stereo or driving fast so not all bad...
I'll check the dump valve and change the tyres round when I get a chance, just to be sure...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.