Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Heated washer jets/fluid

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  gassy 
#1 ·
I noticed on the 9-5 board a comment which I thought was about heated jets for a 9000. I phoned my local dealer who said that the only heating device they had was a heat exchanger that went in the top rad hose. This seems a little strange as it will not get hot until the thermostat opens, and it will do nothing for the problem of dew freezing on/in the jets. It seems to me that a heater exchanger device would be better fitted into the heater matrix hose, so it would get hot quickly.

Has anyone had any experience of this device, or know whether heated jets are available (possibly from another manufacturer)?

#2 ·
I've had Saabs windscreen washer heaters fitted to my last 3 cars.

It's true that it doesn't get hot immediately, or provide a solution to frozen jets, but in most conditions after a few minutes it provides a lovely hot jet of water onto the screen.

Combined with a reasonably strong solution of washer fluid it copes with the vast majority of driving condtions here in the Scottish Highlands.

It also massively reduces the 'dead fly' emulsion that normally coats the screen in the summer.

I have considered trying to stop the washer jets from freezing on the 2 or 3 days a year that I have problems. The only solution I could come up with would be to fit a couple of bulb holders underneath the jets & use the heat from the bulbs to keep them thawed ( I could get SWMBO to knit some little bonnets for them to keep them warm overnight) .This is only any good though if the washer fluid is still in liquid form when it gets to the jets.

I certainly wouldn't be without the heated washer system, the last one I bought only cost about £25 form the local main dealer

#4 ·
Interesting idea of using heated fluid to remove "dead bug emulsion".

As far as winter goes I come from Minnesota in USA and am going back to visit this Friday. We always see COLD weather every winter, and Saab washers work great. When it gets to -40 there isn't much to wash because everything is solid, but Saab wahers still work IF you make certain to use the right w/w fluid w/o any dilution. People that live out of town go in for plug-in block heaters, which save time getting that heat flowing first thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.